Sunday, March 2, 2014

DIY Ricotta


Whoever thought delicious ricotta was off the table was sadly mistaken!  I have recently discovered that ricotta is so easy to make.  Using lactose free ingredients, ricotta can once again be added to your recipe repertoire!

One afternoon while watching Barefoot Contessa, I saw how she made ricotta and I could not believe how simple it was (I have gotten some of my favorite recipes from her show/website).  I used her recipe and just substituted my marinated moo to make this lactose free ricotta.  There are very few ingredients involved and the only kitchen tool I needed was a cheese cloth.  I ran out and got one for really cheap at Bed Bath and Beyond.  Ricotta can be used in so many different great recipes, so I made the whole recipe and have every intention of throwing it in a few different meals this week!


To start, boil the lactose free whole milk, heavy cream and salt.  When looking up how to make cheeses like ricotta, the recipes will call for a non-reactive pot.  Certain metals can react with acidic foods which can alter the taste and color of the food.  Websites I found say that in most cookware products sold today they combine different metals for even, quick heating.  After some research I felt I could use what I had in my cabinet.  Moral of the story, I have a non-stick Kitchen Aid pot and my ricotta turned out to be delicious, so I think it is fine!


Once the lactose free milk and salt mixture comes to a boil, turn the heat off, before it overflows, and add the white wine vinegar.  Stir the vinegar for one minute.  You will notice some cheese curds starting to form, this is a good thing!  The ricotta process is underway.


Dampen your cheese cloth and drape it over a strainer.  Sit your stainer and cheese cloth over a bowl for the liquid to drain into.  Pour the lactose free milk and salt mixture into the cheese cloth, be careful it tends to splatter, I learned this the hard way.  Now just let the liquid drain from the curds and remove the liquid as needed.


The mixture is separating into curds and whey, that stuff Little Bo Peep was talking about but no one knew what its was, well this is it!  You learn something new every day.  Let it sit for about 20-25 minutes, depending on desired thickness and until the curds are room temperature.  The whey is actually great protein that is found in many "brotein" shakes.  If this didn't have vinegar in it, it would be great to use in smoothies.  For future cheese recipes this liquid will be a valuable thing to save.


Once cooled, transfer the newly made ricotta to a bowl.  Cover with cellophane and store in the refrigerator.  It really doesn't take long to make and tastes amazing!  I honestly can't remember the last time I was able to enjoy ricotta, I am so excited to have this recipe.  Ricotta is my newest vehicle for culinary exploration.  I hope you enjoy this discovery as much as I have!    

Recipe Details:

Ingredients

4 cups whole milk
2 cups heavy cream
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar

Place a dampened cheesecloth over a strainer and place in a bowl, set aside. 

Bring to a boil whole milk, heavy cream and salt, stir occasionally to prevent mixture from burning.  Once mixture is boiled, turn the heat off and stir in white wine vinegar.  Stir mixture for 1 minute until curds begin to form.

Pour the milk and salt mixture into the cheesecloth lined strainer and allow the liquid to drain for about 20-25 minutes, until curds have thickened and are room temperature.  Empty liquid to allow for optimal drainage.  Transfer ricotta into a bowl to use immediately or cover with cellophane and place in the refrigerator.  Ricotta will be keep in the refrigerator for 4-5 days. 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Katy,

    Great job on your Lactose blog- I am sure you will help a lot of people
    like yourself. Keep up the great work, I will be visting the blog often.
    Cannot wait to have your ricotta lasagna. As always, I am extremely
    IMPRESSED with your many talents. Nana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great people share their wisdom with others. What a wonderful world, with you in it. Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum I love ricotta but it always hurts my stomach, but now with this lacose free recipe it won't. Thanks girlfriend! Keep up the great recipes : ) xo lauren

    ReplyDelete
  4. Going to try this in my baked ziti dish tonight!
    Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete